- Attended UCSD as an undergrad; Point Loma Nazarene University for Teacher's Edu. & CLAD Certification; Azusa Pacific University for masters in Educ. Tech. and Tier I Certification in Administration; and Cal Lutheran to achieve Math Certification to meet NCLB requirements.
- Is a retired military armor officer for the U.S. Army/California Army National Guard of 24 years.
- Teacher in Ventura County for 20 years.
- Has taught all subjects at the middle school level with areas of emphasis in math, science, and history.
- Has tutored professionally for 15 years and was a tutoring center director for 2 years in Camarillo.
- Has attended both the residential summer science & history programs for teachers at UCSB and the History Alive Program at Stanford University.
- Has attended several week-long summer trainings for math teachers in Ventura County and has piloted Common Core Math publications for the last few years in Simi Valley Unified School District.
- Was nominated for Teacher of the Year in Ventura County for VCOE in 1998.
- Mike's hobbies include bonsai, enjoying his koi and maintaining the pond, and finding that great cup of coffee.
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology with a minor in Chemistry from Whitman College
- Single subject teaching credential in Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Science from Notre Dame de Namur University
- Has taught at Vista Real Charter School as an earth science and biology teacher and been department chair. Matt has developed preparation materials for earth science and biology students as well as developed curriculum and curriculum maps for biology and integrated science. He is currently a teacher on special assignment working to transition the science department into the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Matt has participated in educational summer camps such as Galileo Summer Quest and Rancho Allegre Outdoor School where he has taught 5th-8th graders environmental and outdoor science.
- Matt is also a member of NSTA (National Science Teachers Association), CSTA (California Science Teachers Association), and Sigma Xi - the Scientific Research Society, and attends professional development opportunities on a regular basis.
- Bachelor of science in exercise science and sports medicine from CLU
- Masters of Education from CLU
- Fully-credentialed to teach ALL high school math classes through passage of ALL 3 Math CSETS.
- Single subject credential to teach all levels of high school math through Calculus
- Has taught geometry, algebra 2, and 9 years of algebra I
- Worked with hardy brain training throughout college (including the credential program) as a tutor. I worked with students of all ages with a variety of disabilities (many attention-related) so I have developed a variety of techniques for students who struggle in the typical school setting.
- Currently working to develop the new Common Core Math 1 course for Oxnard Union High School District.
- Currently teaching algebra I at Rio Mesa High School in Oxnard
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology/Facilities Management from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with math supplement from Azusa Pacific University
- Worked in the private sector as a successful manager and financial advisor for 12 years before deciding to be a teacher
- Has taught math, science, and computer programming for grades 6-8 at DATA Middle School in a fully integrated technological environment.
- Brian has also been an active member in both the Ventura and Oxnard Chambers of Congress and also enjoys coaching soccer and playing the bass.
- B.S degree in Biology from University of Texas at El Paso
- M.S. degree in Parasite Physiology from the University of Texas at El Paso
- Minor in Geology
- Single subject credential in chemistry, biology, and geosciences
- 2014 recipient of the Rotary Club Teacher Recognition Award
- Taught AP Chemistry for 25 years as well as College prep chemistry
- Taught Biology, Anatomy and Physiology for nursing students at El Paso Community College
- Taught Earth Science Honors for 4 years
- Taught Teacher prep classes for the CSET in Geoscience for the County of Ventura for 3 years
- Developed online geoscience classes for CSET for Dr. Pam Redman University of San Francisco
- Bachelor of Science in Middle School Math Education from Texas Christian University
- Single-Subject Mathematics Teaching Credential (K-12)
- Single-Subject Foundational Science Teaching Credential (K-9)
- Specializes in Physical Science (including introductory chemistry, physics, and space science), Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2
- Masters of Education in Leadership and Policy Studies (Administration) from Cal State Northridge
- 2 years teaching Pre-Algebra, 7th grade
- 8 years teaching Algebra Readiness and Algebra 1, 8th grade
- 1 year teaching Earth Science, 7th grade
- 7 years teaching Physical Science, 8th grade
- 5 years teaching elective courses that focus on successful student skills (studying skills, homework and time management, school attitude, and high school and college readiness), 6th-8th grade
- Currently on the Common Core Committee for UCMS, leading the implementation for the curriculum and roll out of content
- Experience in guiding students through a formal Science Fair project (can provide excellent resources and aids!)
- Ability to help students of all math abilities and create an approach that is positive and effective
- Access to many resources that will supplement what the student is receiving from their own classroom teacher
- Experience in many educational and enrichment programs and positions, with students of all ages, since I've been in high school - praised for my ability to create a good rapport with younger kids and teenagers and have brought that positive and enjoyable experience to many tutoring experiences
- B.A. degree in Mathematics from UCSB
- Single Subject Teaching Credential in Mathematics from Cal State Long Beach
- Credentialed to teach up to Calculus
- Specializing in Algebra 1, 2 and PreCalculus
- 8 years teaching at Rio Mesa High School and counting
- Currently on Common Core Committee for Oxnard Union High School District to plan implementation of Common Core throughout the entire district
- B.S. degree from UCSB in Biopsychology with minors in biochemistry and physiology
- Single subject credentials in chemistry and biology from CLU
- M.A. in Teaching from National University
- Will help you organize the information so that you understand and can apply it to any possible problem you will be given.
- Can provide a lot of great resources such as old test questions, "cheat" sheets that summarize chapter info, and other tools that would be helpful to any struggling student.
- Taught high school chemistry for 7 years, Advanced Placement as well as college prep classes and students.
- Tutored in chemistry for students in high school, junior college, and at 4 year universities.
- Taught AP chemistry and had the highest pass rate in the county while I teaching at Rio Mesa (2 years) prior to them switching to the IB program.
- Developed, wrote, and taught the curriculum for the IB SL/HL chemistry courses at Rio Mesa.
- Having taught these science classes, am familiar with the kinds of problems present on the AP/IB exam (I have test questions going back as far as the 80s) and the kinds of questions teachers tend to stress on their exams.
- Experience tutoring college students for CLAS (Campus Learning Assistant Services), a professional tutoring organization at UCSB as well as privately in Ventura County.
- Taught o-chem as part of the AP chemistry and IB chemistry curriculum. I feel very comfortable with the material and have a lot of teaching tools and "cheat sheets" for helping students through the course (used frequently at UCSB with CLAS).
- Taught biology at Rio Mesa High School
- Tutored in college level and AP biology since 2003
- Avoid the frustration and bring the joy back into developing your own science experiment
- As the UCS Science Coach, directs, organizes, and helps guide students through developing an experiment for the annual school and county science fairs
- Can provide a science fair guide to assist you through the steps of creating an amazing project that is sure to impress and that you are excited about!
- Taken and passed math courses through differential equations (receiving A's in all of them) at UCSB.
- Tutored in algebra I, algebra II/Trig, and geometry extensively since 2005.